Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Toppling the Pedestal

We’ve all been there at least once in our ministry life.  You know the place I am talking about…that pesky pedestal.  In my much younger years and early in my marriage and ministry life, I always placed missionaries high up on that pedestal.  

They had a special calling from God.  They had a unique and vibrant relationship with the Lord that I could only dream about.  They were able to trust the Lord no matter what came their way.  They faced dangers, illness, loneliness and persecution without flinching.  Hebrews 11 often came to my mind.  

“And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:  Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions.  Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:  And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:  They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.  And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:  God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.”

For years, missionaries sat perched up there in my mind.  I only saw them once every four years or so, if that. That 10-15 minute presentation along with their testimonies was all I ever saw of their life.  They were the perfect Christian…unable to do any wrong…and then I became one.

I knew I was so unworthy.  I wasn’t like all the other missionaries.  I had/have so many fears.  I did not always “count it with all joy” when illness after illness struck for two years in a row.  I do not always face loneliness with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.  The persecutions I have faced were nothing compared to some parts of the world, but to me they felt so very real.  Yes, I was not always facing these things without “flinching.”

Then I started to talk to other missionary women and I realized that we were all pretty much the same.  If we are willing to be transparent and share our struggles with one another, others will realize that we are normal.  We don’t have to be up on that pedestal.  Not only that, but we can“comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.” (2 Corinthians 1:4)

We do have a special calling from the Lord.  He called us to go.  But my calling is no different than the one that was called to stay.  We all have a calling from God on our life.  We all are supposed to be “missionaries”  wherever we are.  The early church was called to be witnesses at home first and then spread out “to the ends of the earth.”  (Acts 1:8)

Missionaries do need to have a vibrant relationship with their Lord. Having said that, it doesn’t have to be unusual or unique.  We are all told to know our God.  Daniel 11:32 tells us that “the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.”  That applies to the missionary as well as to the Christian serving in the same town they were born and raised in.  

I do not always trust the Lord as I should.  My ability to trust Him is directly related to how well I know Him.  We had a young female intern with us in recent years.  When she asked how she could prepare for a future on the mission field, she was not expecting the answer I gave.  Although there were all kind of practical things that she could do to prepare, my answer was “know your God.”  If she learned to know her God and trust Him, everything else would fall into place.  I believe that with all my heart.  

We never stop changing and growing.  I am now in the empty nest stage of life with adult children that are stateside.  I have aging parents that I often long to be with.  Things happen from time to time that could send me in a tailspin.  These are all situations that should drive me to my knees and bring about a greater knowledge of my God.  

After the great faith chapter of Hebrews 11, chapter 12 goes on to say, 

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.”

We can endure just as they did.  These verses tell us how.  
         
         1)  Follow their example.

         2)  Lay aside the weight and sins that holds you back.

         3)  Run or endure with patience what God has called you to do,
              whether it is at home or abroad.  

         4)  Most important of all, keep your eyes on Jesus.  He is our 
              ultimate example.  When we are weary and we want to quit, 
              consider Him and all that He endured.  Know your God!

Instead of putting others up on that pedestal and feeling like you will never measure up, let us each strive to emulate Jeremiah 9:23-24.  

Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:  But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.”

*****

If you long to know your God, but you don’t know where to start, I would like to recommend Mardi Collier’s study, What do I know about my God?  This method of study has been very helpful to me and others over the years.  If you would like to read more about this life-changing study, click here. If you are serving in Japan, we have a handout written by Mardi that explains this study and helps you get started that has been translated into Japanese with her permission.  I would be happy to share it with you.  Please email me to request it at lifeinthe10.40window (at) gmail.com.

4 comments:

Jackie Cook said...

Love this advice as always....transparency and a right relationship with God is the key. Thank you for sharing Kim

Anonymous said...

Thank you ~ know you God ~ yes!! Focus = Jesus Attitude = the sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving to Him. (Hebrews 12:2,3; 13:15) So appreciate this post.

Lou Ann Keiser said...

This is excellent! What a blessing to me! When I was a teen, a couple of missionary men in a missions conference impacted me because they were real, vulnerable, and not enjoying the pedestal. They were just themselves--men who loved and served God. It was at that conference that I began to think that God might be able to use me as a missionary. I love everything about this post. God bless you!

JnTBurgett said...

Thank you! We started deputation to go to Japan almost two and a half years ago. At the same time our sending church started a ladies Bible study called “I’m not perfect yet!” I sooo felt that way...now with the missionary wife title, and all the “special” treatment, I felt sooo inadequate! I still do in many ways, but am so thankful that the Lord would use me (if I can stay out of His way!) Thank you for the good “charge” and encouragement!